melslifeinaNUTshell


Friday, February 23, 2007
First "Solo" Road Trip

My baby girl...OK...so maybe it's time to STOP calling her 'my baby girl', she's 18...Anyway, I digress....
Bre (baby girl) is away for a couple of day with 2 of her girlfriends. She is actually going 'out of state'. This is the first trip for these girls without their parents...They were all so excited, you'd have thought that they were going across country, they are actually just going to New Hampshire, which is only about 5 hours away from here. This is the first time that they could rent a motel room without one of their parents doing it for them.
I've been on the verge of tears since she left, in fact when she stopped at my office to say good bye I actually cried when I said good bye...THIS IS STUPID...I know, She'll be in college in less then 6 months and I'll never know what she's up to. I think what's upsetting me so this time is that I KNOW in less then 6 months my entire world is gonna change. I just don't think I'm ready for this...OK...Truth is...I KNOW THAT I'M NOT READY! I'm trying very hard to not let Bre know how freaked out I am over the whole 'empty nest' thing, I don't want her to start stressing over it, I don't want her to know that every time we do something together I wonder if it'll be the last time we do it (yeah...I know a little dramatic-but that's how it feels). I don't want my fears to keep her from being excited to start her new life. I wish that she could see things from my perspective once in a while but I know that until she has children of her own she won't be able to...JUST like I couldn't until I had children. I remember my mom telling me that...she was right!
GROWING UP really sucks at times...It's kinda odd how most days I'd give just about anything to be a kid again and EVERY day Bre would give anything to NOT be a kid...If she only know what the real world had in store for her! I hope that her life, as an adult, is all she hopes it will be.